Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1810 - 1820
Entrance gates to Columb Barracks (15310010), erected c.1814 and altered c.1922. Gateway comprises a pair of tall rendered gate piers, on square-plan, supporting wrought-iron double gates. Square-headed pedestrian entrance, built into wall adjacent to the north, having an ashlar limestone block-and-start surround with triple keystone over and a timber sheeted door. Guard house (15310011) to north side of gate has pistol loop opening overlooking entrance. Located to the east corner of complex on Mullingar Town side of barracks.
An imposing gateway serving as the main entrance to Columb Barracks (15310007 to 15310019), Of particular note is the handsome ashlar block-and-start surround to the pedestrian entrance, which dates from the original construction of the barracks in 1814. The loop hole opening from the attendant guard house (15310011) is an interesting feature indicating the defensive nature of this gateway. This gateway forms part of an important collection of structures within the Columb Barracks complex (15310007 to 15310019), constituting an important element of the architectural heritage of the area.