Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1800 - 1820
Canal lock and lock gates, built c.1810, restored c.1990. Retaining walls built of ashlar limestone with timber breast gates, foot bridge and timber balance arms, all with steel fittings. Located to the east entrance to Ballynacarrigy Royal Canal Harbour and adjacent to lock keeper's cottage (number 35).
A well-built canal lock, one of a number of structures associated with the Royal Canal Harbour in Ballynacarrigy. The construction using good quality ashlar masonry attests to the grandiose ambitions of the canal company at the time. It forms an attractive pair with the attendant lock keeper's cottage to the south and remains an important element of the architectural and industrial heritage of Westmeath.