Survey Data

Reg No

15306002


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic Social


Original Use

House


Historical Use

Post office


In Use As

House


Date

1800 - 1840


Coordinates

264913, 268670


Date Recorded

13/07/2004


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Terraced four-bay two-storey house, built c.1820, incorporating an early shopfront to east end. Formerly the village Post Office (c.1914). Pitched artificial slate roof with rendered chimneystacks and cast-iron rainwater goods. Pebbledashed walls over smooth plinth. Square-headed windows openings with cut stone sills and six-over-six pane timber sliding sash windows to ground floor and one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows to first floor. Square-headed doorcase to east with timber paneled double-doors. Shopfront to east has timber fascia with moulded timber pilasters and a fixed multipane timber window. Located on street frontage towards west end of village.

Appraisal

This attractive, if modest, terraced building retains much of its original character and a substantial proportion of its original fabric. Of particular importance is the survival of the simple early timber shopfront, which is of artistic interest. Shopfronts such as this example are becoming increasingly rare in Irish towns and villages today. This structure is of social importance due to its former use as the village post office. This structure, which almost has a vernacular appearance due to regular layout of fenestration, is an important component of the historic streetscape of Clonmellon.