Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Technical

Original Use

Mill (water)


1800 - 1840


240374, 263224

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Detached two-storey former corn mill on L-shaped plan, built c.1820. Now disused. Pitched and hipped natural slate roofs with projecting limestone eaves course, clay ridge tiles and remains of cast-iron rainwater goods. Built of randomly coursed limestone rubble. Square-headed window openings with rough stone sills and remains of timber sliding sash windows. Square-headed door openings with timber sheeted doors. Remains of timber water wheel to east side and machinery to interior. Set back from road on small country lane adjacent to former mill race (running roughly west-to-east).


An attractive example of an early nineteenth-century vernacular corn mill complex. It was built at a time when the Irish corn milling industry was experiencing a boom period. It retains its early form and character despite its derelict condition. The remains of the timber water wheel and some of the early machinery is of technical and industrial archaeological interest. It remains and important component of the heritage of Westmeath and forms an appealing group with the former mill race to site.