Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1870 - 1890
Semi-detached three-bay two-storey house on L-shaped plan, built c.1890, having a projecting single-bay flat-roofed entrance to the centre of the main façade (southeast) flanked to either side by single-storey flat-roofed canted bay windows. Now in use as offices. Shallow-hipped natural slate roof with overhanging bracketed eaves and a rendered chimneystack. Channelled finish to walls at ground floor level, smooth rendered above with raised rendered block quoins to corners. Square-headed openings with one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows and cut stone sills. Tripartite Wyatt-style windows to ground floor on southwest façade. Square-headed doorway to porch having a timber panelled door set in glazed surround. Main façade (southeast) facing onto garden and gravel carpark with side elevation (southwest) addressing the street. Rendered boundary wall to street frontage. Located to the southeast of the centre of Castlepollard.
A well-proportioned late-Victorian house that retains most of its original form and character. This structure also retains much of its original salient features and materials. The symmetrical entrance front with projecting canted bay windows, the overhanging bracketed eaves and the rendered detailing all serve to enhance the architectural design. This is one of the more substantial buildings in the village and must have been originally built by someone of relative importance in the community. This substantial building occupies a prominent position on the outskirts of Castlepollard and forms an appealing setting on one of the main approaches into the village.