Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
Garda station/constabulary barracks
1880 - 1900
Semi-detached three-bay two-storey dwelling, built c.1890, having a projecting flat-roofed single-bay single-storey porch to centre and gable-fronted bays to either end of the front façade (southwest). Converted for use as a Garda Station c.1930. Pitched natural slate roof with rendered chimneystacks and having decorative wrought-iron finials over the apexes of the advanced gables. Ruled-and-line rendered finish to the ground floor, pebbledashed to first floor separated by projecting moulded string course. Rendered quoins to the corners. Square-headed openings with six-over-two pane timber sliding sash windows. Single round-headed window to front face of projecting porch. Square-headed doorway having timber doors to either side of projecting porch. Set slightly back from road with a rendered boundary wall and wrought-iron gate to front. Located to the southeast end of Castlepollard.
A well-composed structure of balanced proportions which adds to the quality and historic character of the streetscape of Castlepollard. It retains its original form and aspects, as well as much of its original fabric. The gabled bays to either end of the front façade lend this building a strong presence in the streetscape. This building replaced an earlier constabulary barracks (15302038) in Castlepollard, which was located on the Mullingar Road. The building is of particular social significance due to its role as a Garda Station and remains an attractive feature to the southeast of the village.