Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Artistic Social Technical
In Use As
1855 - 1860
Detached five-bay two-storey Italianate style Railway Station, built c.1858 with single-bay single-storey pavilions to either end. Renovated and extended 1985. Hipped slate roof with overhanging bracketed eaves, rendered chimneystacks and cast-iron rainwater goods. Constructed of snecked limestone with ashlar detailing over ashlar plinth. Ashlar quoins to corners. Square-headed window openings with ashlar architraves with entablatures over to ground floor, replacement windows to all openings. Segmental-headed doorcase with architrave set in recessed three-bay loggia with round-headed openings with limestone Doric pillars and limestone surrounds. Two limestone roundels above loggia with cast-iron lanterns. Original interior replaced.
A highly attractive mid nineteenth-century train station, built in a compact and elegant Italianate style. High quality craftsmanship is apparent in the dressings and detailing of the masonry employed. It was built to designs by George Wilkinson (1814-90) for the Great Southern and Western Railway Company's Portarlington to Athlone Midland line in 1858.