Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1880 - 1895
Gateway serving Oak Lawn House (not in survey), c.1889, comprising a pair of cut stone gate piers (on square-plan) with crenellated coping over supporting a pair of Gothic-style cast-iron gates having Celtic cross finials over. Located at the entrance to Oak Lawn House, formerly at the Our Lady's Bower Convent (15010106). Located to the west side of the Ballymahon Road to the north of Athlone Town centre.
A very fine pair of cast-iron gates, which are well-maintained and retain their early form. This gateway was previously located at the Our Lady's Bower Convent (15010106) and has an appropriately ecclesiastical character on account of the Celtic cross finials over. This gateway, although moved, is a fine example of late nineteenth-century ironmongery and adds artistic interest along the Ballymahon Road to the north of Athlone Town centre. Manufactured by MS Mahon, Dublin.