Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1895 - 1900
Terraced four-bay two-storey house, built c.1897, with square-headed carriage arch to south and canted bay windows flanking doorcase. Natural slate roof with terracotta ridge tiles and three rendered chimneystacks with moulded brick cornices. Cement rendered walls, canted bays and doorcase to ground floor are faced with brick with brick cornice over. Square-headed window openings with brick block-and-start surrounds to first floor windows, limestone lintels above canted bay openings. Round-headed doorcase with timber panelled door, sidelights and a plain fanlight over. Moulded brick archivolt supported on limestone columns with foliate capitals to exterior of doorcase. Set back from road in own grounds with rendered wall and wrought-iron gate to street-frontage.
A nicely detailed house with some arts-and-crafts style influences. It is not as ambitious as it neighbours to the south but has some interesting decorative elements such as the elaborate doorcase. It retains its original form and most of its early fabric. This house was built by R.V. Smith to designs by the architect W.A. Tanner. It remains an important feature on the Ballymahon road in a very attractive terrace of late nineteenth-century terraced houses of varying appearance.