Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic Historical

Original Use

Sports hall/centre/gymnasium

In Use As

Sports hall/centre/gymnasium


1870 - 1880


203400, 241621

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Detached ten-bay single-storey double-height military gymnasium, built c.1875, having a glazed octagonal lantern with pyramidal slate roof to centre of roof. Single-storey extension to the northwest. Pitched natural slate roof with chimneystacks/vents to either end. Constructed of coursed dressed limestone with rusticated limestone quoins to corners and red brick dressings to openings. Three northern-most bays to the north end altered, c.1970, now having rendered finish. Segmental-headed window openings with red brick surrounds with projecting ashlar keystones, cut stone sills and replacement windows. South gable has three segmental headed windows in quasi-Venetian arrangement at eaves level. Segmental-headed doorcase to south gable with brick surrounds with projecting ashlar keystone and replacement timber double doors. Located to northwest corner of Custume Barrack complex.


A well-detailed and proportioned building which retains its original form and character. The octagonal rooflight is a striking feature and the contrasting use of gray limestone with the red brick detailing creates an attractive appearance. This building is very similar to the gymnasium at Mullingar Barracks (15310019), suggesting that they were built at the same time. It remains an important component in the Custume Barrack complex.