Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Social Technical
1880 - 1900
Freestanding two-stage water tower on square-plan, built c.1890, having a wrought-iron water tower to top. Constructed of red brick with rock-faced limestone quoins to the corners, an ashlar limestone string course above ground floor level, a pulvinated string course below tank and a cut stone plinth to the base. Blind round-headed openings to the ground floor having cut stone detailing to heads. Blind round-headed occuli over to second stage having raised red brick surrounds. Located to the west of the West Station (15004151) and adjacent to the former engine shed (15004143) to the south of the start of the Shannon Rail Bridge (15004129).
This water tower is an integral part of the West Station (15004151) complex and an important structure in its own right. This structure is well-detailed with ashlar, rock-faced and cut limestone trim and has a conscious architectural quality. This water tower probably dates to the late nineteenth-century and is not as elaborate detailed as its Italianate neighbour to the east (15004150). It was originally built to serve the Midland and Great Western Railway Company's Dublin Broadstone to Galway line and is an interesting reminder of the age of the steam railways.