Survey Data

Reg No

15000261


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic Historical


Original Use

House


In Use As

House


Date

1890 - 1895


Coordinates

203832, 241246


Date Recorded

06/09/2004


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Terrace of six two-bay two-storey houses, built c.1893, with projecting box bay windows to the ground floor. Pitched artificial slate roofs with (shared) rendered chimneystacks (having brick detailing) and a number of remaining sections of cast-iron rainwater goods. Built of red brick with yellow brick flush string courses and alternating red and yellow brick voussoirs above the first floor openings. Paired segmental-headed windows to box bays with decorative lintels over, all now with replacement windows but one retains original cast-iron mullion (no.4). Square-headed openings to first floor window with replacement windows. Segmental-headed doorcases with overlights and replacement doors. Set back from road with small gardens to front with rendered boundary walls with decorative cast-iron railings and (shared) cast-iron gates to street frontage.

Appraisal

An attractive terrace of late nineteenth-century houses, which retain their original form and character. These houses display some decorative invention using basic materials, such as the use of two-tone brick, the box bay windows and the remaining cast-iron column. The cast-iron railings and gates enhance the road-frontage and make a positive contribution to the streetscape. Number 5 is of additional historical importance as a former home of Count John McCormack (1884-1945), a tenor who achieved worldwide recognition in the first half of the twentieth century.