Survey Data

Reg No

15000260


Rating

Local


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural


Original Use

House


In Use As

House


Date

1880 - 1900


Coordinates

203814, 241256


Date Recorded

06/09/2004


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

End-of-terrace three-bay two-storey house, built c.1890, with an integral segmental-headed carriage-arch to the south. Pitched artificial slate roof with a (shared) rendered chimneystack having red brick detailing to north end. Constructed of red brick with yellow brick flush plat band and voussoirs above first floor windows and a rendered plinth to base. Segmental-headed window to the ground floor with decorative lintel over. Square-headed openings to the first floor, all now with replacement windows. Segmental-headed doorway having a timber panelled door with overlight and a decorative lintel above. Battened timber doors to the carriage-arch. Road-fronted.

Appraisal

An attractive late nineteenth-century house, which retains its original form and character, despite the loss of some of its original fabric. This house displays some decorative invention using basic materials, such as the use of two-tone brick and the decorative lintels above the ground floor openings. The presence of a carriage-arch, the only one along a terrace of ten properties, adds additional interest to this property. It remains an important component of the streetscape.