Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Artistic Historical Scientific Social
In Use As
1830 - 1840
Terraced two-bay two-storey former National Bank premises, built in 1836. Later in use as a Bishop's residence c.1855 and now in use as employment services centre. Cut stone shopfront to bank consists of four Ionic columns (with fluted necking) supporting an entablature over (acting as the fascia) having a moulded cornice with modillions above. Pitched artificial slate roof with a projecting eaves course and cast-iron rainwater goods. Rendered chimneystacks to the centre and the west end. Ruled-and-line rendered walls over cut stone plinth having an incised benchmark. Square-headed window openings to first floor with cut stone sills and replacement windows. Round-headed windows to the ground floor with replacement windows over rendered stallrisers with inset panels. Round-headed doorway to the east end having a replacement timber door with a spoke/radial fanlight above. Road-fronted.
A modest two-storey building, which is distinguished by an elaborate cut-stone classical-style shopfront, which is of artistic merit. This interesting structure was later used as the Bishop's residence in the mid nineteenth-century. The presence of an incised benchmark, dating from the 1830s when the Ordnance Survey was carrying out the original survey work for the six-inch series of maps, is of scientific interest. This building is an important component of the historic character of O'Connell Street and an important element of the built heritage of Athlone.