Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1830 - 1850
Terraced four-bay three-storey house, built c.1840, with shopfront added c.1910. Building renovated c.1995. Pitched natural slate roof with projecting eaves course, cast-iron rainwater goods and rendered chimneystacks to either end. Ruled-and-line rendered walls with painted quoins and plinth. Square-headed window openings with replacement windows. Square-headed doorcase to east end of main façade with a glazed timber door with overlight above. Modern traditional style shopfront incorporating timber consoles and fascia from older shopfront c.1910. Road fronted.
A substantial commercial premises occupying an important site at the junction of Connaught Street and Pearse Street. The irregular spacing of the openings to the eastern-most bay suggests that this building may have been extended to the east. The survival of elements of an early twentieth-century timber shopfront is a noteworthy feature and the carved timber consoles are of artistic merit. This building represents an interesting example of how large shopfronts were inserted into existing buildings in the late nineteenth and early-twentieth centuries. An important and imposing component of the streetscape.