Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1825 - 1835
Detached single-cell mausoleum, built c.1830, with interred remains of the Bloomfield family. Set within graveyard at Borrisnafarney Church of Ireland church. Pitched stone roof with moulded stone coping to gables. Snecked stone walls with buttresses and arcaded cornice to north-east and south-west sides. Pointed-arched door opening with tooled stone surround, hoodmoulding and studded timber door having metal cruciform hinges. Plaster to interior walls with bricked-up shelves bearing name plaques of those interred. They read 'Thomas Ryder Pepper 1828; Mrs Bloomfield 1828; Mrs Ryder Pepper 1841; Lieutenant General Benjamin Baron Bloomfield 1846; Harriot widow of Lieutenant General Benjamin Baron Bloomfield 1868'.
Located within the graveyard at Borrisnafarney Church, the stone built mausoleum is the resting place of members of the Bloomfield family, one of whom was the founder of the early nineteenth-century church. The execution of the design in the Gothic Revival idiom creates an austere, yet aesthetically pleasing memorial. Fine workmanship is seen in the stone roof, where slabs overlay one another, also in the stone arcading to the side elevations and again in the solid double entrance doors with metal studs. The interior name plaques, that commemorate those who lie there, ensure that history will not forget them.