Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Artistic, Scientific
In Use As
1780 - 1820
Detached three-storey country house, built 1777, on the site of a seventeenth-century house, with additions of 1835 by James Pain. Main front consisting of two wide and shallow three-sided bows of three bays each with a two-bay centre between them. Single-storey wing of two bays, adorned with pilasters. Pediments and entablatures on console brackets over ground floor and first floor windows. Parapeted roof. Stable complex to rear.
This is an important late eighteenth century country house which was re-built by the Pain brothers in the early nineteenth century. Originally it faced north and had a shallow full-height half-hexagon bow in the centre. It was turned around to face south and the doorcase put at one end so that the drawing and dining rooms date from the Pain Brothers renovation. The country house has very fine detailing and is probably the Pain's finest classical work. Traces of the late eighteenth-century decoration can be seen in the country house as well as the early nineteenth-century changes in internal layout.