1790 - 1820
WOODFIELD OR TULLYNISK
Detached five-bay two-storey over basement country house, built c.1810, with recessed central blind arch to façade and full-height bow to rear elevation. Set within its own grounds. Hipped slate roof with oversailing eaves having stone brackets, terracotta ridge tiles, rendered chimneystacks and cast-iron rainwater goods. Roughcast rendered walls with tooled stone plinth course, string course and quoins. Moulded tooled stone surround to recessed segmental-headed bay at façade. Timber sash windows with chamfered tooled stone surrounds and keystones. Tripartite timber sash window to first floor of façade's recessed bay having pointed-segmental-headed mullions. Segmental-headed door opening to façade with coved and fluted archivolt, engaged Ionic columns, glazed and panelled timber double doors, fanlight and sidelights, accessed by tooled stone steps. Brick-lined servants' tunnel to rear. Square-headed ashlar limestone gate piers to road with fluted capitals, plinth walls with spear-headed cast-iron railings and gates. Stone outbuildings with hipped and pitched slate roofs to north-west adjacent to walled garden with stone and yellow brick walls. Late twentieth-century bungalow constructed within walled garden.
Annotated as Woodfield on the first edition of the Ordnance Survey map and as Woodville on the nineteenth-century second edition of the Ordnance Survey map, this country house is now known as Tullynisk House. Belonging to the Rosse Estate at Birr, it is part of the architectural and historical heritage of that town. Its design is striking and although unproven, has been attributed to Richard Morrison. The garden front of Tullynisk House is similar in design to the rear elevation of Cangort Park, with the unusual chamfered window architraves. Incorporating limestone dressings, a Gothic inspired central window and a splendid doorcase with leaded lights, the decorative detailing at Tullynisk creates drama within the symmetrical façade. Its rear, being equally as pleasant, is enriched with bowed central bays that look out onto a lawn. The site is completed by highly crafted entrance gates, an attractive gate lodge and outbuildings. Of particular note is the walled garden, situated to the north-east of the house. Now housing a modern bungalow, the impressive stone and yellow brick walls enclose a large area.