Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1780 - 1820
Detached four-bay single-storey thatched house, built c.1800, with direct-entry plan. Pitched oaten straw roof with lines of scolloping and bobbins to ridge and having twine to eaves. Rendered chimneystacks. Pebbledashed stone walls. Square-headed timber sash windows. Porch with flat concrete roof, timber sash windows and timber battened door. Single-bay extension to rear with pitched tiled roof, with flat-roofed link to original building. Rendered boundary wall and piers with wrought-iron gate to road boundary.
This thatched house is sited at right angles to the public road, a familiar feature of vernacular architecture. The simple form of the roof with its row of ridge bobbins and lines of scolloping to the ridge makes this building a representative example of the county's vernacular architecture.