Survey Data

Reg No

14923004


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Technical


Original Use

House


In Use As

House


Date

1780 - 1820


Coordinates

214033, 215818


Date Recorded

16/11/2005


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Detached four-bay single-storey thatched farmhouse with further one-bay integral outbuilding under same roof, built c.1800, with direct-entry plan. Pitched oaten straw roof, having low rendered chimneystacks. Stone walls, roughcast rendered to front and limewashed and having two stone buttresses to rear. Small openings with timber sash windows. No rear windows. Timber battened door and half-door. Yard is one of pair of farmyards and is located at end of avenue.

Appraisal

The integral outbuilding under the same roof as the house may originally have been a room. It retains its timber sash windows and half-door entrance, the latter being a rare survival in the county, but present also in the second thatched house in the yard adjoining it to the north. Its simplicity makes it a particularly good example of Irish vernacular architecture. Its low chimneystacks and absence of rear windows are characteristic features.