Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1810 - 1850
Pair of dry docks, built c.1830. Upper dock enclosed by corrugated-iron canopy. Upper dock flooded. Stepped tooled limestone walls to lower dock with central drain gate on winch. Iron gate to canal end of dock. Cast-iron mooring bollards to dockside.
Still in use, these dry docks have been active for nearly two hundred years. Formerly serving the canal shipping industry, they now serve the region's water-based tourism industry. The longevity of this site alone is an indication of its architectural merit and this is also apparent in the finely executed limestone construction.