Categories of Special Interest
1830 - 1840
Single-arch masonry towpath bridge, c.1835, erected over the junction of the disused Kilbeggan Branch of the Grand Canal. Regularly coursed dressed limestone blocks. Arch is semicircular in profile. Soffit of dressed stone blocks. A towpath runs to the east side. Parapets project from the spandrels and are of finely dressed blocks with coping. Humped deck with ramped approaches.
Campbell's Bridge is a towbridge, a continuation of the tow path on the north bank of the canal over the junction of the Kilbeggan Branch with the main canal. Other bridges on the canal system were designed to transport carts and carriages by road over the canal and were therefore wide enough to accommodate such vehicles. Campbell's Bridge was designed to carry only pedestrians or horses over the canal. Campbell's Bridge is a striking feature in the landscape and makes a positive contribution to the canal as a valuable recreational facility. The Kilbeggan Branch of the Grand Canal was once a busy tract of the canal servicing the well-known breweries in that town. This branch is now closed and a road had been constructed in front of the bridge to service the nearby lock.