Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Scientific, Technical
In Use As
1780 - 1800
Canal lock station, built c.1790, consisting of a pair of timber and steel lock gates set in channel with limestone lock walls and mooring bollards. Associated canal bridge to site.
This lock gives an insight into the design and engineering of Irish waterway transport in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries. It appears to have been restored recently to full working order. The high level of craftsmanship and use of resources indicates the importance of these locks and canals as a much used mode of transport.