Survey Data

Reg No

14917011


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural


Previous Name

Charleville Castle


Original Use

Folly


Date

1800 - 1850


Coordinates

232171, 223002


Date Recorded

09/09/2004


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Detached triangular plan four-storey tower folly, built c.1820, and possibly incorporating fabric from an earlier tower. Outbuildings to rear and abutting walls. Set within forested area. Random rubble walls with quoins. Roofless tooled window surrounds with timber window frames, diamond tracery windows with timber frames. Square-headed door opening with timber lintel. Spiral staircase with tooled stone steps to interior. Remaining fireplaces with iron grates. Derelict yellow brick outbuildings to rear. Carved stone plaque depicting figures holding arrows on north-west elevation.

Appraisal

The exact date of construction of Camden Tower is unknown. A tower is shown on the 1786 maps which set out design proposals for the demesne. It is identified on the first edition OS for County Offaly (1840). Various important features serve to recommend Camden Tower, such as the sculpted panel above the door and the remaining tooled spiral steps and some internal features such as the fireplace.