Survey Data

Reg No

14917009


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Technical


Original Use

House


In Use As

House


Date

1780 - 1820


Coordinates

235722, 222077


Date Recorded

09/09/2004


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Four-bay single-storey thatched house, built c.1800, with direct-entry plan. Pitched (north end) and hipped (south end) oaten straw roof with decorative knotting to ridge and exposed scolloping to ridge and eaves. Rendered brick chimneystacks. Limewashed lime-plastered clay walls. Small-pane timber sash windows, one to front having iron bars. Timber battened door and sheet half-door. Traditional interior retained, particularly in kitchen significant features of which are original canopied hearth and exposed roughly-hewn timberwork of the roof. Slightly-recessed single-bay outbuilding with stone walls and pitched corrugated iron roof added to north end of house. Set at right angles to road and facing into 'parallel' farmyard. Six-bay lofted single-storey outbuilding opposite house with pitched corrugated-iron roof stone walls.

Appraisal

This thatched building is an especially intact example and thus very rare. The exposed roof structure in the kitchen is of considerable interest. The hearth retains its traditional character and fittings. The retention of small openings with small-pane timber sash windows enhances the building, as does the traditional half-door. The cobbled yard and interesting farm buildings greatly add to the setting of the house.