Survey Data

Reg No

14916034


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Technical


Original Use

House


Date

1780 - 1820


Coordinates

231699, 225314


Date Recorded

16/11/2005


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Detached five-bay single-storey with attic thatched house, built c.1800, with lobby-entry plan and now partly roofless. Two-bay single-storey addition to rear with rendered walls and lean-to slated roof and adjoining outbuilding with pitched slate roof also to rear. Pitched oaten straw roof with dressed limestone barges and kneelers and having rendered and brick chimneystacks. Small openings with timber sash windows. Timber panelled door. Rendered stone walls. Sited close to and parallel with Grand Canal towpath. Garden to front and extensive complex of farm buildings to side and rear. Long range of single- and two-storey outbuildings to east having pitched slate roofs and stone walls. Variety of single-storey elsewhere in complex.

Appraisal

This is one of the more substantial thatched houses in the county and though partly ruinous, is nevertheless an important example. It retains many of original features, such as the relatively small window openings and stone barge detailing. The extensive farmyard associated with this house is most impressive and provides an essential part of the character of the site.