Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Scientific, Technical
In Use As
1800 - 1805
Three-arch aqueduct over river, built 1803. Overgrown snecked limestone walls centred on tooled limestone ashlar triangular cutwaters to piers having pyramidal capping with cut-limestone stringcourses supporting parapets having cut-limestone coping. Series of three segmental arches with overgrown tooled limestone ashlar voussoirs. Sited spanning Clodiagh River with overgrown banks to river.
An aqueduct representing an important component of the civil engineering heritage of County Offaly with the architectural value of the composition, one recalling the nearby Huband's Aqueduct (see 14916027), confirmed not only by the silver-grey limestone dressings demonstrating good quality workmanship, but also by the elegant "sweep" of the arches making a pleasing visual statement at a crossing over the Clodiagh River: meanwhile, a discreet benchmark remains of additional interest for the connections with cartography and the preparation of maps by the Ordnance Survey (established 1824).