Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1800 - 1810
Single-arch masonry bridge, built c.1802, carrying towpath over entrance to the Edenderry Branch of the Grand Canal. Dressed limestone blocks, laid to courses. Segmental profile arch with dressed voussoirs. Parapets regularly coursed and coped with dressed limestone blocks. String course across face extending to terminal piers.
The Edenderry Branch of the Grand Canal, its harbour and this bridge were funded by Lord Downshire of Edenderry, who gave this bridge its name. The bridge is a continuation of the tow path on the north bank of the canal. Downshire Bridge was designed to carry only pedestrians or horses over the canal. This is the only such bridge on the Edenderry line of the canal which was opened in 1802.