Categories of Special Interest
1750 - 1800
Freestanding circular wind mill, built c.1770. No longer used. Stands in a field. Random coursed stone plinth, with random coursed stone walls with cut stone coping to parapet. Square-headed stone arched openings to north and south with stone thresholds and loop windows to all elevations.
This wind mill stands proudly on an elevated position within the townland of Ballystrig. It remains as a vestige to a past era when those within the community relied on the wind to grind their flour. Though missing its cap and sails, its circular form, constructed in limestone, is an unusual and attractive addition to the landscape which it overlooks.