Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1780 - 1820
Detached four-bay single-storey thatched house, built c.1800, with lobby-entry plan. Eastern bay is later addition and has tiled roof and replacement uPVC windows. Rendered stone walls having smooth rendered plinth. Pitched oaten straw roof to original part. Low rendered chimneystacks. Timber sash windows and glazed timber door. Sited at end of short avenue close to disused Kilbeggan branch of Grand Canal.
Until extended, the entrance doorway to this thatched house lay at one end of the façade, a feature common to a few of the county's thatched houses. The relatively small openings and low chimneystacks are typical features of Irish vernacular architecture.