Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1780 - 1820
Detached four-bay single-storey thatched house, built c.1800, with direct-entry plan. Pitched scolloped reed roof over oaten straw having lines of scalloping and knotted ropework to the ridge. Low rendered chimneystacks. Rendered stone walls. Replacement uPVC windows and replacement timber battened door. Two-bay flat-roofed extension added to rear in mid-twentieth century. Sited at end of long avenue in farmyard having single-storey outbuildings with pitched corrugated-iron roofs, rendered walls and timber battened and panelled doors.
This house and the detailing of its roof make it representative of thatched houses in County Offaly. The scale and treatment of the openings is typical of Irish vernacular architecture. The accompanying outbuildings add interest to the setting.