Categories of Special Interest
1780 - 1820
Detached six-bay single-storey thatched public house at corner location in village, built c.1800. Pitched oaten straw roof with wide overhang and decorative knotting and exposed scolloping to ridge and twine to eaves. Rendered chimneystack. Rendered stone walls. Timber sash windows. Timber panelled doors. Painted sign at eaves. Yard of outbuildings to rear.
This relatively long thatched building is the only traditional thatched public house remaining in Offaly. It contributes very significantly to the architectural character of the village of Ballyboy. The large surface and steepness of the thatched roof are unusual. The retention of timber sash windows and panelled doors enhances the building.