Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1795 - 1805
Stone built quay, constructed c.1800, running under Molesworth Bridge, along edge of canal. Retaining wall runs along upper part of canal. Quay downstream to west has been renovated c.2000.
This quay forms an interesting group of related canal structures with the canal store and Molesworth Bridge. The structure is an integral part of the canal system which came to Daingean, or Philipstown as it was formerly known, in 1796. The survival of such structures is a reminder of eighteenth- and nineteenth-century advances in inland water navigation.