Categories of Special Interest
1790 - 1810
Detached three-bay three-storey to canal side and two-storey to road side former canal store, built c.1797. Now disused. Set back from road on south-eastern bank of canal. Pitched slate roof with limestone coping. Random coursed limestone and yellow brick walls with red brick eaves course. Roughcast render to west. Moulded yellow brick window openings with iron bars. Oculi with red brick surrounds to side elevations. Segmental-headed door openings. Tooled limestone block-and-start surround to canal side moulded yellow brick surround to front elevation with timber battened door.
This former store, adjacent to the canal is a reminder of the eighteenth- and nineteenth-century achievements in inland navigation. Together with the Molesworth Bridge and quay, it forms a significant group of transport structures. The contrast of the red and yellow brick with the grey limestone provides a scenic canal aspect.