Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1805 - 1815
Single-arch masonry bridge, built in 1809, carrying the Tullamore Clara road over the Grand Canal at the west end of the 27th lock. Abutments of dressed limestone blocks are a continuation of the lock chamber. Voussoirs and spandrels of dressed limestone. Replacement reinforced-concrete parapets with footpaths on both sides and tubular steel railings between concrete posts. Random rubble wing walls coped with concrete. Limestone plaque reads: 'Cox Bridge 1809'.
The bridge is part of a group of canal structures that include the lock and lock house. It is of architectural interest in terms of its quality of construction and its place in the series of canal bridges built at the end of the eighteenth and start of the nineteenth centuries.