Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Social

Original Use


In Use As

Heritage centre/interpretative centre


1890 - 1900


233857, 225348

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Detached eleven-bay three-storey former distillery bonded warehouse and bottling plant, built in 1897 by D. E. Williams, with modern extension to rear, abutting building to west and warehouses to south. Now used as a heritage centre. Located to the south bank of the Grand Canal. Pitched slate roof with terracotta ridge tiles with an overhang to east elevation. Random coursed limestone walls with tooled quoins, tie bars and date plaque. Fixed barred timber windows with yellow brick surrounds. Square-headed door openings with double timber and glazed doors to east and south elevations. Abutting rendered building to west with pitched corrugated roof, modern warehouses to east and south.


Built in 1897 in association with Tullamore distillery, this warehouse represents an industry that was central to the growth and economy of Tullamore, sustaining it as the largest town in Offaly. The use of limestone walls with yellow brick window surrounds adds textural variation to the building's appearance. The overhanging eaves to the eastern elevation is a notable feature which once most likely housed the hoist. Now converted into a heritage centre, this building still serves the community as well as reflecting the industrial heritage of Tullamore.