Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1795 - 1800
Single-arch masonry canal bridge, built in 1799, carrying road over a spur of Grand Canal leading to Tullamore Harbour. Random rubble limestone walls with dressed limestone blocks to voussoirs to arch, string course and coping to parapet. Random rubble limestone walls flank roadway. Deck is humped. Towpaths flank canal with tooled limestone retaining walls. Date and name plaque to parapet reads: 'Bury Bridge 1799'.
Bury Bridge was built in 1799 and carries a roadway over an entrance into a canal dock. The bridge retains many of the typical characteristics evident in canal bridges, such as its humped deck form, the mixture of finally tooled limestone and random coursed walls and towpaths which lead under the bridge. They add to its canalscape qualities. It was erected by the Grand Canal Company and named after the owner of the Charleville Estate.