Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Social, Technical
In Use As
1795 - 1805
Spur of the Grand Canal, built between 1797 and 1802. Coursed squared limestone block walls with concrete coping. Cast-iron mooring points spaced along quay wall. Metal ladders descending into water. Walkway to one side of canal. Northern end surrounded by modern stone wall.
The Edenderry branch of the Grand Canal was started in 1797 mainly due to the efforts of the 2nd Lord Downshire in persuading the Canal Company to bring the line to the town. The branch and harbour were not completed until 1802 at a total cost of £692 and was financed by Lord Downshire. This scenic quay leads into Edenderry's main thoroughfare, JKL Street, terminating with a squared-off section surrounded by a limestone wall. The quay is still in use today with many mooring points along the quay wall. In its heyday the Edenderry branch of the Grand Canal was vital to the local community and facilitating boats, both commercial and tourist alike, provided an important social link with other waterways around Ireland. The canal was instrumental to the development of Edenderry itself as much of the materials used in the construction of many of the town's fine houses were transported here on the canal.