Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1860 - 1880
Terraced seven-bay three-storey bank, built c.1870, with additions c.1920. Fronts directly onto street. Pitched slate and tiled roof with terracotta ridge tiles, red brick chimneystacks, parapet wall and cast-iron rainwater goods. Red brick walls to upper storeys with end pilasters, platband and entablature. Smooth render to ground floor with stone plinth. Timber sash windows with stone sills to upper storeys. Round-headed windows to ground floor recessed in arcade with pilasters separating each window. Fluted keystone to each arch. Timber panelled double doors with fanlight, recessed in round-headed arch and flanked by Corinthian columns. Decorative key stone to arch with insignia 'HBL'. Stucco fascia board.
Notable for its red brick and decorative motifs, this bank which terminates the vista of the Carrick Road, is of both architectural and social significance. It remains largely intact and has continued its original use. The intricate moulding on the keystone above the entrance is a reminder of its former occupant, the Hibernian Bank.