Categories of Special Interest
Archaeological, Architectural, Artistic
In Use As
1770 - 1790
Detached ten-bay three-storey country house, commenced c.1200, with several phases of construction. Remodelled and renovated c.1780 and c.1840. Rubble stone walls. Rendered and ashlar limestone castellations and rendered chimneystacks. Ashlar limestone dressings with hood and label mouldings to square-headed and pointed-arched openings. Paired timber sash windows. Studded timber doors set in pointed-arched openings with hood mouldings. Port-cochere addition to north-east.
This castle has been renovated and extended to at several times in the last eight centuries, but retains much of its medieval fabric. The castle retains many features from those periods when it was remodelled (the late eighteenth and mid nineteenth centuries). The irregular form and façades of the castle are complimented by the variety of square-headed and pointed-arched openings. The associated demesne structures, such as the stables, outbuildings, gate lodges and estate worker's house, enhance the setting and context of the castle.