Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Artistic Historical Technical
In Use As
1785 - 1795
Freestanding tower, built c.1791, in the form of a giant Doric column, surmounted by glazed lantern. Dressed limestone walls with string courses, dentils, and dressings. Square-headed, round-headed and pointed-arched openings with ashlar limestone surrounds and hood and label mouldings.
This monument was designed by Henry Aaron Baker for the First Earl of Bective in memory of his father Sir Thomas Taylor. The tower is of apparent architectural design and detail. The masonry was clearly executed by skilled masons and is enhanced by the ashlar and carved dressings. The tower was used to view horse racing and the hunt in the nineteenth century. The plaque reads: 'This pillar was designed by Henry Aaron Baker Esq. architect was executed by Mr. Joseph Beck stone cutter Mr. Owen Mc Cabe head mason Mr. Bartle Reilly overseer Anno 1791'.