1800 - 1805
Church of Ireland cathedral, rebuilt 1802, comprising of three-bay side elevations to nave. Renovated c. 1869, and single-bay chancel added to the east, and gabled porch added to the north. Pitched slate roofs. Snecked limestone walls with buttresses and ashlar limestone dressings. Pointed arch openings with paired lancets having trefoils above to the nave. Pointed arch openings with carved stone tracery having hood mouldings above the east and west gables. Fifteenth-century castellated tower to north-west corner. Carved stone doorcase to tower. Chancel of the fifteenth century church to east. Recumbent, upright and table tombs of medieval to present date to graveyard. Rubble limestone boundary wall with ashlar gate piers and wrought-iron gates.
This site has been a centre of religious activity since the eighth century, when Saint Loman became the first Bishop of Trim. Continued use is apparent from the headstones of varying periods to present day, the fifteenth-century tower attached to the nineteenth-century cathedral, and the remains of a fifteenth-century chancel in the graveyard. The cathedral was renovated in 1869 by Thomas Deane and much of the carved masonry detailing and dressings date from that period.