Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Social Technical

Original Use

Market house

In Use As

Town/county hall


1840 - 1860


280198, 256747

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Detached five-bay two-storey former market house, built c.1850, with three-bay projecting central breakfront. Comprising of three-bay single-storey former market house, remodelled and flanked by single-bay extensions, c.1925. Roughcast rendered walls with projecting piers and parapet. Recessed panels between piers to ground floor. Ground floor has glazed lunettes with cast-iron windows, rendered surrounds and keystones. First floor has square-headed openings and continuous sill course. Squared limestone boundary walls with dressed limestone gate piers, having cast-iron spear-headed railings and gate, to south of site.


This former market house was remodelled in the 1920s, and retains little of its original appearance. Located in close proximity to the courthouse and Garda station, the town hall forms part of a group of civil buildings, with the former administrative centre of Trim castle at its core. The robustness of the twentieth-century design is expressed by the vertical piers that run the full height of the building.