Survey Data

Reg No

14328030


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic, Historical, Social, Technical


Original Use

Convent/nunnery


In Use As

Convent/nunnery


Date

1860 - 1870


Coordinates

280083, 256560


Date Recorded

29/04/2002


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Detached seven-bay two-and three-storey Gothic Revival convent, built c.1867. Comprising of five-bay two-storey central block, flanked by gabled projecting three-storey terminating bays. Snecked limestone walls with corner buttresses and ashlar dressings. Pitched slate roof with ashlar limestone chimneystacks. Single, double or triple light lancet windows. Gabled porch, with timber battened double doors having decorative cast-iron strap hinges, set in pointed arched opening. The convent chapel with spire to the south.

Appraisal

Saint Joseph's Convent, which was designed by William Caldbeck, is of high architectural design. The materials used in its construction are also of high quality. The combination of snecked and ashlar stonework provides textural interest. The variety of single, double and triple lancet windows creates an interesting rhythm to the fa├žade.