Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
Garda station/constabulary barracks
1920 - 1930
Detached three-bay former RIC barracks, built c.1924, with a gable-fronted two-storey central bay flanked by single-storey bays. Now in use as a Garda station. Pitched artificial slate roof with rendered chimneystacks. Roughcast rendered walls. Timber sash windows with stone sills. Tripartite window above entrance. Timber panelled door with flanking sidelights. Extended to rear c.1940.
The architectural form of this former RIC barracks is unusual. The building is enhanced by the retention of the tripartite timber sash window and stone sills. The building is set back from the street and does not dominate the streetscape yet it is notable in the street because of its unusual form.