Categories of Special Interest
1740 - 1780
Ranges of multiple-bay single- and two-storey stables, built c.1760, set around the stable yard. Now disused. Pitched slate roofs. Rendered walls. Cast-iron diamond paned windows with stone sills. Timber battened doors. Bellcote to south range. Integral carriage arch to east range. Cast-iron trough in centre of yard. Some interior fittings remain.
This stable yard complex once served Hilltown House, a large house which was situated to the north. It forms a group with the surviving related structures in the former demesne. The survival of many original features and materials, such as the cast-iron windows, bellcote and carriage arch enhance the group.