Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Historical Social Technical
Heritage centre/interpretative centre
1800 - 1805
Detached gable-fronted three-bay two-storey former court house, built 1802. Pitched slate roof with ashlar limestone chimneystacks. Ashlar limestone pedimented façade with string course between ground and first floors. Round-arched window and door openings to ground floor set into blind arcading with carved keystones and impost mouldings. Pair of timber panelled door with fanlight. Block-and-start surrounds to openings in side elevations.
This impressive building occupies a prominent island site between the Headfort and Navan Roads. Designed by Francis Johnston, this structure is one of the finest in Kells. The well executed limestone ashlar and carving enhance the architectural form of the building. The tenth-century former market cross was relocated to the front of the building.