1610 - 1615
Detached five-bay single-storey over basement with attic house, built 1612, now derelict. Rectangular-plan, dormer windows to south; extended to east from three-bay to five-bays, gable-fronted porch to south and return c. 1820; extensions to north-west and north-east and lean-to to north-east c. 1850. Pitched slate roofs, clay ridge tiles, limestone verge coping, limestone random rubble and ashlar corbelled chimneystacks, red brick chimneystack to east, crenellated parapet to north-west, cast-iron gutters to overhanging eaves, circular downpipes. Random rubble stone walling, dressed limestone quoins; roughcast-rendered walling to east, dormer gables and extension; red brick walling to north-east extension. Square-headed window openings, tooled limestone sills, limestone lintels to south-west, block-and-start brick jambs with flat-arched brick lintels, painted timber six-over-six and three-over-six sliding sash windows to north, most windows blocked with timber or concrete; pointed arch window opening to east gable, moulded render lugged and kneed surround; cambered arch openings to lean-to, brick lintels, wrought-iron window bars. Round-headed door opening to south, engaged Doric painted timber columns with fleuron decoration to capitals on limestone block plinths, painted timber cornice, door and fanlight now blocked, tooled limestone steps flanked by random rubble stone walls. Set in own grounds; cobbled yard to north, random rubble stone walls, red brick crenellations and pointed arch opening to west, crow-stepped gable crenellations, pointed carriage arch with dressed limestone keystone and jambs and square-headed pedestrian entrance to east; two-storey random rubble outbuildings to north and east of yard, pitched slate roofs, crenellated gable to east range, square- and segmental-headed openings, some brick lintels and surrounds, loop windows and pigeon holes to north; further single-storey outbuildings to north and east; ruined two-storey red brick L-plan gate lodge to south-west; cast-iron chamfered gate piers, pyramidal caps, gablets, ball finials, flanked by wrought-iron railings.
Displaying a hybrid of building styles and containing an intact seventeenth-century interior, this house is of considerable architectural and historic importance. Features such as the sizeable dormers, '1612' date stone, Cromwellian chimneystack and imposing entrance elevate its otherwise simple form. The finely-carved capitals to the porch add a touch of delicacy to the structure. The site is completed by the outbuilding complex with Gothic-inspired boundary walls and the impressive gate lodge.