Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1780 - 1820
Detached three-bay two-storey house, built c. 1800. Two-storey lean-to return to north, hipped roofed porch c. 1970. Pitched slate roof, red brick and smooth rendered corbelled chimneystacks, cast-iron gutters at timber bracketed eaves, circular cast-iron downpipes. Roughcast-rendered walling, painted smooth rendered quoins and plinth course. Square-headed window openings, painted smooth rendered reveals, painted stone sills, painted timber three-over-six sliding sash windows to first floor, six-over-six to ground floor. Segmental-headed door opening within porch, timber and glazed door c.1990, flanked by panelled pilasters to cornice, decorative tear-drop fanlight. Rubble stone outbuildings to rear (north), agricultural yard to north-west. House opens onto tarmacadam surfaced drive leading to road to south-west. Gate lodge to entrance; half-octagonal slate roof, roughcast-rendered walling, square-headed window opening, metal lattice casement windows, square-headed door opening, painted timber vertically-sheeted door.
Janeville has been altered over the decades but retains all the characteristics classically inspired house. The proportion and composition are heightened by the fine sliding sash windows, and the retention of the fine tear-drop fanlight is of particular note. The existence of the stone farm complex and the attractive gate lodge with delicate latticed windows, are also worthy of note, they form an integral part of this architecturally significant group of buildings.