Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Historical Social
Garda station/constabulary barracks
In Use As
1880 - 1900
Detached three-bay two-storey former RIC barracks, built c. 1890, burned down 1922, rebuilt c. 1930, now in private domestic use. Pitched slate roof, terracotta ridge tiles, red brick corbelled chimneystacks, moulded cast-iron gutters on brick corbelled eaves course, paired corbels to north and south elevations. Red brick walling laid in Flemish bond, continuous brick hood-mouldings to ground and first floors. Segmental-headed window openings, granite sills, uPVC casement windows. Segmental-headed door opening, recessed doorway containing tripartite plain-glazed overlight, painted timber panelled door, uPVC door to porch entrance. House set back from road, brick path to boundary. Front site bounded by random rubble stone wall, square-profile gate piers, wrought-iron gate, vehicle access via gates to south.
This handsome red brick structure is well constructed with fine moulded brick detailing adding to its external character. Historical significance is added by its interesting connections to the founding of the Irish Republic, as a former RIC barracks, it was burned down in 1922. Soon reconstructed to maintain its original character, it is an invaluable part of the architectural legacy of Blackrock and County Louth.